When you’re single, living alone, or stuck in the house more than normal, feeling connected and loved by others can be quite a challenge.
I want to share some encouragement with you from a discussion I had with my single women’s group called Wow! Women of Wisdom…
Living Loved is living in patience, kindness, perseverance, rejoicing in truth, being hopeful, trusting, living in sisterhood, even being open to romantic love…feel free to read 1. Corinthians 13 aka the LOVE chapter for ideas.
Practically speaking,we can use this time to do the following:
1. Use your superpowers! As singles, we have some super powers we don’t often think of. We face uncertainty daily. We are resilient. We have learned to be creative to take care of ourselves. We know how to create connections where there are no connections. We have learned the art of patience. We have learned to define ourselves and not let the world define us. Name and Claim your superpower! We know how to grieve and let go. We know how to get knocked down and get back up again. We know how to push when the going gets touch. We are courageous, amazing, innovative, and beautiful women. We can use those qualities in times like these.
2. God provides for us singles– Psalm 68:5-6 says: “A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in His holy dwelling. God sets the lonely in families, He leads forth the prisoners with singing; but the rebellious live in a sun-scorched land.” Can you identify the “families” you have? Who are your sisters? Who are your brothers? If you are all alone, why is that? What do you need to change to make connection easier?
3. This can be a time for romantic love- How many want to marry? Perhaps we can finally join an online dating service and begin getting to know some men over the phone or thru messenger. Maybe it’s a time to fast and pray for your mate. Think about some male friends you can set some girlfriends up with. Maybe it’s a time to work on YOU-praying for healing in certain areas, working on your health, your mindset.
4. This is a time to get strong mentally. Work thru your ACE’s (those adverse childhood experiences that can keep us bound) your traumas, your hang ups. Ask God to reveal them to you. Ask God to teach you how to heal. Pray specifically. Talk to someone and tell your story of pain. This is very healing, humbling, and helpful. Learn to laugh at the future! “Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”— Joshua 1:9
5. This is a time for self-care and self-nurture. We need bubble baths, time in nature, flowers and gardens, art, poetry, naps, good books, worship, and long conversations.
6. This is a time to improve your love relationship with God. Carve out a real place in your home that is your love nest just for you and God. Put a bible, notebook, candle, and pillow there. Ask God to teach you what it means to follow him.
7. Now is the time to nurture others. We can speak a word of encouragement to just about anyone! “She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.”— Proverbs 31:26